TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Service Department
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Default redmax bcz2600s trimmers

I've had several of these trimmers in lately that only seem to run on choke. Cannot find any gasket or seal leaks as I spray them down with carb cleaner. I remove and clean the carbs and adjust them and they seem to run ok for a month or so and are back and I have to do everything all over again. Should I just do all gaskets and seals while I'm in these things or am I missing something simple? Fuel lines and filters are new as well. no apparent signs of the seals leaking as some I get have oil all over the flywheel and have an obvious leak.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Had something similar with a Stihl unit. Replaced the carb isolator and isolator gasket. Still acted up so replaced the carb and used a small amount of Dirko sealant on both sides of the isolator gasket. Seemed to cure the problem. Not sure I needed the carburetor, but Stihl had upgraded from the original so I installed one.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Master PPEC Member

Default Common issue

These problems you are having are EXACTLY the same issues i've had customers complaining about. We are not a redmax dealer, but we do have the husky/redmax trimmers. I've had a handfull of guys running a competitors redmax product that refuse to buy any more trimmers. Bought Echo SRM265S and have been problem free for over a year.

Reed valves, gasket leaks, non adjustable carbs.......all issues with these.

Did you pressure and vac test the block? I bet you'll find leaks, probably on the crank seals.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Mid-Size Mower

We have had the same problems with RedMax trimmers and alot of Ebz-8000/8001 that our Tech. has been pulling his hair out on them. If anyone finds a true fix let us know. I have almost stopped selling RedMax, all our Commercial guys are too upset with this and the dist. is No help hasn't herd of this problem.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:32 PM
String Trimmer

There is a service bulletin on this problem 08-04-R1 covers carb ajustment
on the BCZ2601 trimmers.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Master PPEC Member

We were experiencing the same problems. Good ole ethanol was creating most of it! Got some new blue stuff to put in the fuel, getting customers to use premium gas and have found it clears up the problem. Also we found that the plating used on the cyl and piston isn't of the same quality it use to be and regular fuel with ethanol and the least little bit of dirt is eating them up.
Keep in mind that I am typing this based on my husbands description that used a few descriptive words that I can't repeat on here. We are trying to educate our customers about ethanol and 2-cycle engines.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Garden Tractor

Default Carburetor check valve failure?

Have you tried a new carburetor yet, With ethanol causing so many problems, I would be surpised that a check valve or two is either sticking or failed in the carburetor. Until I attended the Stihl factory school last year I didn't quite realize how they actually work and the running problems they can cause. You can hace a check valve that has failed open and be flooding the idle circuit with air instead of fuel. With you saying that you remove the carb/clean it and reinstall it, sounds like maybe your freeing up a check valve for a short period of time. If you have done a full leakdown test on this engine and vacumm test and have no air leaks, sounds like a carb to me... We also never use carb cleaner to douch a carb it is way to strong and softens all rubbers and gaskets causing more problems, Brake cleaner works great and isn't as harsh.

Good Luck!

Last edited by engineman28 : 08-24-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Wood View Post
There is a service bulletin on this problem 08-04-R1 covers carb ajustment
on the BCZ2601 trimmers.
can you post this bulletin as I am not able to get on my dist website to get it and they are supposed to be e-mailing me these bulletins.
Thanks.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjengine View Post
Have you tried a new carburetor yet, With ethanol causing so many problems, I would be surpised that a check valve or two is either sticking or failed in the carburetor. Until I attended the Stihl factory school last year I didn't quite realize how they actually work and the running problems they can cause. You can hace a check valve that has failed open and be flooding the idle circuit with air instead of fuel. With you saying that you remove the carb/clean it and reinstall it, sounds like maybe your freeing up a check valve for a short period of time. If you have done a full leakdown test on this engine and vacumm test and have no air leaks, sounds like a carb to me... We also never use carb cleaner to douch a carb it is way to strong and softens all rubbers and gaskets causing more problems, Brake cleaner works great and isn't as harsh.

Good Luck!
I am seeing a LOT of check valve problems this season. Probably because Ethanol was added to the gas at many local stations this summer. We've had to replace a lot of primer bases due to failing check valves. I have also replaced check valves in the carburetors, some of them are very cheap and easy to replace.