TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE MANUFACTURER'S AND DISTRIBUTOR'S FLOOR > Equipment / Products
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Unity Master

Arrow Diesel Chain Saw from Russia

A friend of mine son just returned from Russia where he had been on an agricultural exchange program. He has been interning with a government owned machine equipment company that is making some pretty interesting things. He said that they are just about ready to release as diesel powered chain saw. According to him, the Russians have been observing the OPE market world wide, and decided that it didn't make any sense to enter a market unless they could bring out something new and revolutionary.

At first, I thought he was pulling my chain. After talking to him for a couple of hours, I'm a believer. Since newly developed biodiesel fuels will ignite under much less compression than traditional fuels, the engine components need not be as heavy as the diesel engines we have been acustomed to. To compensate for the slower engine speeds, they are putting a cutter on every link like they do on a harvester chain. It has a modified raker that lets it take a bigger bite, while still providing smoothness and reduced kick back.

Presently, the saws are undergoing rigerous testing in the Siberian Forest by some of the most demanding and critical cutters in the world, The Russian Logger Ladies Tree Corps. There only comments so far have been that the bars have to be longer, and open later also. ...............PHIL
Old 05-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Master PPEC Member

haha. too funny.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
String Trimmer

Phil.... i know this is an old thread but i could not resist doing a reply to it.

Diesel chainsaw do exist and i am the proud owner of one. The russian did not invent anything but like the chinese copying the russian druzzba chainsaw and selling them as new, i was in china last fall and have seen it...we are going into a world of buyer beware!!!!! they even make true copies of huskvarna and jonsered chainsaw.

Coming back to the diesel stuff, Although a very light and innovative saw, sales were not what the inventor Mr. Wiig had hoped for, so, he took his idea to neighboring Sweden. A company called ?Como? M. T. Bjerke would now build the Comet in Sweden. I?m told this occurred in 1950. The Swedish version of the Comet was called model ?B?. Swedish forestry historians tell me that production of the model ?B? Comet is approximately 1,000 between 1950 through 1953. Verry light saw, 32oz would make her run for 1 1/2 hr....It is a 2 cycle engine that uses an ?injector? type of carburetion system with a glow plug called a tandror working out from propane gaz under pressure inside the handle assembly.

Hope this was of some interest.......

My collection: vintagechainsawcollection.blogspot.com

I am the proud owner of one of those saws......verry rare and collectible.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Unity Master

Default See, I told you so.

Why do you have a chainsaw on your kitchen table? You need to go to a different butcher.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

will it still run
Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 AM
String Trimmer

LOL...LOL...this table is actually inside the museum.......

This saw does run......all the saws on my collection are runners....i am a mechanic and my challenge is to get them back to life before their last resting place for retirement........
Old 04-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Default Amazing! ! !

Hi Caporal and welcome to the Congress! I took a look at your site and the collection of saws you have is amazing. It's hard to believe that so many different saws are out there. Our shop foreman remembers working on a few of the pictured saws, especially the old Homelites. Thanks for your contribution and for sharing your collection.

Mike